Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Job, or jobs...

So, I got the job at NY 1. It's a freelance gig meaning I can work a total of 1000 hours a year, 1080 hours less than full time. This is not a bad thing, of course, it means that I need to keep looking for another job, or jobs, to fill in the spaces. But now I have a good idea of how my budget is going to work out. Thankfully, my first two weeks of training are going to be full time. So that means I will definitely be able to pay rent in full for May. Jeez, I make it sound so terrible, don't I?

In all honestly, I'm confident that I'll find other work. My next plan is to badger the living crap out of Technicolor (yes, I know I said delicately before but things have changed...mainly my attitude). Then, I'm going to simultaneously look at film internships to get some experience doing grip work, lighting and audio stuff, too. These are the kinds of jobs that will not only pay well on down the line, but will put me in a good place to network with directors in the city. Don't know why I didn't think about it before. I could have been interning the second I got off the plane.

I mentioned in my last blog, not wasting my time with something if I wasn't going to enjoy it. It's not even just the fact that I don't want to do something I don't enjoy, but the fact that it could be wasting my time is actually a pretty bad thing. Because, why? Time is money. That's right. Even time for which I'm not getting paid is money. I realized that, okay, realized is not the right word...accepted that I haven't been giving enough attention to my music career as of late.

One of my biggest problems is that I get these ideas about where I should be by now and some times I just want to jump to that point quickly and "catch up," as it were. I can't do that, I keep telling myself. I need to regroup often and consider what the next step is before I go kicking myself for, for instance, not having finished anything new in the past few months. (Started a whole bunch of stuff, I did).

So, then I think that it's probably a good idea to do some research and consider what I want to do with my music, make a decision about it, set some goals, come up with a plan and then implement that plan. Steps.

I figure I've got three questions to ask myself. What do I want to write and for whom? How am I going to market it to them? It all starts here. This is what I'm supposed to be using all of this glorious free time for. That and finding good, inexpensive health insurance that's not a scam. Ha. Wish me luck on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment