Friday, April 19, 2013

Back in Action...

Back in action now that I'm back in the Apple.  Over the course of a very relaxing few days off, filled with many visits, a few bike rides, some much needed floating in the pool, wine, food, more wine and pollen (unfortunately), I was able to polish off the three voice over demos.  Now I have them and my film scoring reel locked and loaded and ready to go.  For the next few months, though, I'm going to be working nonstop at two, perhaps three jobs, to make a mound of money before diving back into projects. 

As I put it to a certain close friend and musical partner, this is a rare opportunity to get a leg up.  I have two freelance jobs in addition to NY1 now: CNN and TruTv.  Both of them came out of the blue but were much needed and welcomed.  TruTV hired me back in February but, with the bizarre lag in HR operations, it took them until now to pull me in for training and, in that interim period, I got a call back from the very manager at CNN who had passed my resume to TruTV, asking if I could help out in the media department at CNN while one of their staff goes on maternity leave.  I started back at CNN at the beginning of this month and now that I'm done training, will be working doubles, mornings at CNN and nights at NY1 three, maybe four nights a week. Luckily, I still will have the weekends off.  TruTV promises occasional work on top of all that when any of their staff goes on vacation. 

So, my plate is full, and though I probably won't get much done in the way of music and voice over work, I do have my arsenal of demos fully polished and up to date so, what's to say, I can't push forward on finding a voice over agent and scoring that next scoring gig? 

Before I dive into all of the above, I do have my birthday celebration tomorrow night to kick it all off.  The last weekend of my vacation before diving head first into what could be the busiest two to three months I've experienced in New York City yet.  But I'm open to what's ahead. In fact, I'm quite excited about it.  Anything could happen.  My feet are in the doors.  I'll just leave it at that.     

Birthday celebration should be a fun time.  I have a night in the East Village planned tomorrow and am really looking forward to seeing people and eating some good gluten free food and drinking in one of my favorite bars. 

I think it's a really good thing that I took this vacation at this particular point.  It wasn't really timed on purpose or anything but I really needed a few days to wrap my brain around the next few weeks and how I'm going to manage it all.  My schedule changed a NY1 a few weeks ago and I had just gotten the hang of it.  But with all the extra work and everything, prioritizing became really hard all of a sudden and I even almost melted down and freaked out a few days ago when I first landed back in NYC.  I knew that it was important for me to take this opportunity for more work and more money but I was worried about not having time for music and voice over.  But I think what helped was realizing that the voice over and music careers are both at a point where I can put them on hold for a bit, or at least feel okay devoting a little less time to them.  I've hit several milestones in the last few months and am poised for some big moves in the next few months but I don't necessarily need to act on them right now.  Plus, Lacy and I should have no problem finding time for shows and rehearsals as I'm still off on weekends (without that I don't know what I'd do). 

The only thing I'm slightly bummed about is having less time for yoga.  But I think I can manage to do some breathing exercises at work and still pull off yoga classes on Saturday and Sunday.  And if it gets a little crazy, without the yoga and the sleep, I can always forfeit a few of the shifts I've signed on for at CNN as long as I give them advance notice.  So the next few weeks begins my run of double shifts and then I'll reevaluate.  For now, it's good night and tomorrow = fun. 

Here are some pics from my vacation in Raleigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment