Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Falling TV sets and a jaunt around midtown with a friend...

For some odd reason one of the maintenance people (I'm pretty sure it was him) was just dropping television sets off the roof. Sounded like gun shots and breaking glass so I got a tiny bit freaked out and ran to look out all of my windows. Just got to the kitchen window in time to see the third one drop out of nowhere. I gotta say, I was mildly alarmed.

Luckily, there's nothing else falling from the sky as of late. No asteroids, no hailstorms, not even rain. Well, a little today but that didn't stop me from getting out and about. Finished another blog for the new site and went to a noon yoga class, then picked up groceries and here I sit. Just took a look at the iRig mic and iRecorder software that my friend Emily has and wanted me to give my opinion of. I hooked it up to her iPad and messed around with it. Recorded myself reading from "On Bullshit" and messed around with the edit functions so that I could cut out some mistakes I made and then tried out some of the processing options. Without being able to hook up my good headphones I can't really speak to the quality of the audio recording. But it sounded decent through the iPad's speakers and the Sony earbuds I carry around in my pocket to listen to music on my Droid. It's pretty easy and intuitive to work with as well.

More on that later though. Emily is in town attending some tech expos and the like for her job at Techno Buffalo. Yesterday we went to a couple of places together around midtown. After catching those break dancing kids on the N train we went to my favorite gluten free pizza place, Mozzarelli's. Afterward we went to Madison Square park and saw this:



Then we wandered around the Flatiron district for a bit, explored Eataly and then stumbled on a place called Limelight Marketplace. It's a bunch of upscale clothing and jewelry stores and a wine bar crammed inside an old converted church. I have to say I was pretty amazed at how cool this place was. Granted the jeans were all over $100 and I'm pretty sure I wasn't going to buy anything in there.

We even went down to Babycakes on the LES for a quick cupcake fix. And I'm making poor Emily walk all this way and me running on about 3 and a half hours of sleep. The overnight shift sucks.

Tonight, however, fully rested, I'm about to head out and go meet her and another old friend from college somewhere. No idea where yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment