Thursday, December 6, 2012

Overnight...

With the combined blow of people requesting off holiday time and two co workers quitting within weeks of each other, I now sit working my third overnight shift since my shift changed back in June.  I gotta say, it's not nearly as bad as I thought it might be.  My body still remembers how to stay up all night and readjust my sleep schedule and everything.  In fact, I'm finding it eerie how I've slipped right back into the routine.  Thankfully, this is the last one I have to do for the foreseeable future.

It was odd yesterday morning as I headed home to see all the same commuters that I used to see every day on the train.  These are people I've never spoken to except the occasional complaint about the train being late.  But I've come to expect to see them in the exact same place and at the exact same time every day with almost no change in their routine.  Almost like they're part of the scenery.  

I'm sure they'll all be there this morning when I get off work, too.  Just like always.  It seems crazy that I would see the same people over and over in such a huge city but it makes sense if you think about it.  People have their routines and occasionally, the trains actually run consistently on time, usually only at the very beginning of rush hour when I'm commuting. If I ever saw these people anywhere else but their designated spot on the train platform, I'd probably freak out.  I've only had that happen once where I was out and about in the city and saw the same person twice in one day in two totally different locations.  It was way weird.  

Meanwhile, once this little stint is over and I sleep some, it's back to work on the remixes.  Getting ever closer to finishing this project and moving on to the next, getting a VO agent.  And Christmas shopping somewhere in there.  I'm planning on traveling to NC on the 22nd.  Already bought a bus ticket and then found out that Lacy was also traveling to NC on the 22nd and also coming back the same day as me.  So, now I have to find out if I can exchange the ticket (already know I can't refund it).

The remix project was waiting on a crucial software plugin that I was using on a few tracks before I reinstalled everything.  After the reinstall, I realized that I couldn't find that plugin and that I would have to if I was going to keep those songs sounding the way they did.  Not only was it used on one of the remix tracks and not only was I considering using it on another, it was critical to the sound I achieved on the underscoring to "The Life."  It was a certain special effect box that came in Guitar Rig 4 that I used to delay and reverse the guitar parts.  In the version of Guitar Rig 4 that I unearthed after my reinstall began, it was missing and then it dawned on me why: the version of Guitar Rig 4 that I had available to me was not the full edition (it was Essential and not Pro).  I needed it bad I reasoned.

About a week ago, I saw a great deal on not only the newest version of Guitar Rig but all of the Komplete instruments that Native Instruments sells.  This would add multiple synths and numerous samples to my library so I thought it a no brainer and sprung for the software, which came in the mail two days ago.  12 discs which took me 5 and half hours to install!  But I'm eager to try it all out now.  Early Christmas present to myself.

With any luck, these mixes of mine will be done next week and I'll be ready to go to the mastering studio.  I'll keep the updates coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment