Thursday, August 30, 2012

Waiting...

I've been revisiting old tunes I haven't listened to in a while today, just in general.  This morning, I opened up a playlist I forgot I had made of songs I listened to back on the post high school Europe trip in '99.  Then, I just shuffled through all songs on my phone at random, turning up songs from the 90's and other stuff I haven't listened to since the first year I was here and even as far back as high school days.  Right now, I'm listening to a playlist on my Windows Media Player called "Bittersweet."  A Regina Spektor tune is playing.

And the weather here is finally whispering of fall, after another upturn in the temperature and humidity since my last posting. Low humidity (most importantly) and a light breeze, highs in the low 80s.  I'll take it, I thought.  Literally, a day before the change came, I swore off the awesome hat I picked up at Brooklyn Industries the other day and long sleeves, just generally, cold though it may be in the building where I work.  But then I regretted it slightly, strolling down the street in a tee-shirt and jeans and a bare pate on a cool morning a few days ago. I love it, though, when the breeze rolls in and you can smell memories of the last year and you have to stop and breathe it in.   

Anyway, I promised I'd spout some more about the McKittrick Hotel's rooftop bar.  Last Tuesday night, Alexa and I got in our 1940's get up and, after a nice dinner in Chelsea, we headed over to the Gallow Green, a separate entrance from where one would go in to see Sleep No More.  A darkened elevator, operated by a man in period dress, took us up to the floor just below the roof and there we were met by a hint of that token intricate set design one comes to expect from Emursive and Punchdrunk.  When we emerged on the roof of the building we were seated and given menus with clever cocktails with names like "Damn Spot" and "Blonde in Peril," both references to Shakespeare and Hitchcock.

There were also people in character and a live band playing.  One woman came by to tell us how she lived at the McKittrick for many years and hinted at a special appearance by someone later in the evening.  We drank our fill of cocktails and I even had an absinthe shot but no one ever showed up and unfortunately the band stopped before we could get much dancing in.  The band was then replaced by a DJ with a Macbook which sort of destroyed the atmosphere a tiny bit.  I'd certainly go again sometime with a gang of folks post show perhaps because they also offer punch bowls that serve 2-4 people or more.  These I've heard involve some presentation as well.  Sounds fun and delightful!  Plus, I got the feeling there were many details in the set design and references to the show all about but I didn't get a chance to really look.  I'll have to go back. 

Anyhow, in the week since, I've been busy with voice over work and debating another coaching session.  And meanwhile, also waiting.  For responses from the current filmmaker and the prospects.  Even also waiting for payment from the last voice over gig. Seems like waiting is a theme lately.

But I can't help but feel I'm on the verge of something all the time.  Hence, it's a pretty exciting time right now.  Regardless of the outcome of all the various things I have floating up in the air right now, it's just good to know how much better I'm doing now than I was last year at this time.

With that said, it's time to (guess what) go to bed.  Tomorrow is my only day off this week. With the Republican National Convention going on in Tampa there's extra coverage and I was working overtime today...so naturally I'm exhausted.  Most of my shifts at NY1 take place when there's not a lot going on so being there during the week with massive amounts of stimulation is a bit of a change.  Makes me want to relish my one day off so much more.  So, good night for now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment